Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 2

Well, we got through the first full day! Other than Eli waking up super early (thanks buddy!), it wasn't terrible. There was definitely an underlying sense of sadness and this new normal is going to take a lot of getting used to, especially at dinner time and around the time Nick would usually come home from work. But, let me tell you, Eli is a very good distraction! I don't think we'll have a problem keeping busy.

Eli is doing really well too, but I know it is because he really doesn't understand the situation. He asked for Nick a few times, but no more so than normal. And I made sure that we watched some "Dada story time" (videos of Nick reading) and our Daddy doll got lots of love at bedtime.

We also started our deployment countdown (see picture at the bottom) and moved our first toy soldier! Man, that felt good! I think Eli enjoyed it too. I liked that it was a tangible way to count down, while involving Eli, and didn't use a number (I can always add or subtract soldiers if I need to). Because if there's anything I've learned about the Army in the past 5 years, it's that things change!

If you're interested in stealing the idea, it was really easy! I made use of the beloved Pinterest and Hobby Lobby and got the biggest jars I could find (the first ones I got were way too small to fit all of the soldiers) and used stickers for the words. "Mission accomplished" was a close second for the wording on the second jar. Feel free to get creative The Army men/toy soldiers were an Amazon purchase.

As rough as last night was, I felt so incredibly loved and supported. Every prayer (and I know there were a lot of them!) was felt and God's presence was so evident. As much as I wouldn't wish this situation for myself (or anyone else for that matter), it is such an opportunity to trust God. And I know he has great growth in store for us as a family.

I am in the midst of a Bible study on Romans, and this verse totally stuck out for me this past week:
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28 ESV)
I think it is going to be my deployment verse and I am going to try to memorize it. I know that God will use this deployment for our good and His glory.

Oh, and check out my sister's blog for our (my 2 sisters, my sister-in-law and I) picture a day challenge #countingourblessings2012
We are posting a picture on Instagram every day for the month of November of things we are thankful and praising God for. I can't think of a better time to count my blessings and keep things in perspective.

Didn't quite get to my deployment goals yet, so those are still coming soon. Stay tuned!

No comments: