Sunday, January 13, 2013

Home, Sweet, Home

Man, it is good to be home! On Friday, Eli and I returned home after a fabulous month spent in California with family (thus my little blogging hiatus). We got to see all of Eli's grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins and Eli loved all of the extra love and attention! And I even got some wonderful breaks while Eli got some quality grandparent time. I think I'm going to be hearing about tractor rides, kitty cats, dance parties, and making coffee for weeks!

We're starting to get resettled, and my house isn't a total disaster anymore. Eli has fully adjusted back to Central time, thank goodness. He has even been sleeping in and keeps waking me up with a beautiful serenade of "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Baa Baa Black Sheep". Man, I love my happy morning baby!

It was a bit of an adventure getting home! Guess that's what happens when you fly through Denver in January, ha ha! Our first flight was uneventful and Eli did great (although I recently realized that this was his 6th round trip and my 3rd solo flight). Our flight even got in early!

However, that meant that our gate wasn't ready yet, so we sat for a bit on the Tarmac. Thankfully our next flight was only 2 gates down. But then, as I walked on the flight, I realized I had forgotten our iPad in the seat pocket. Face palm! So I asked a flight attendant and they went to look for me. They didn't find it, so they offered to watch Eli while I went to look and he surprisingly cooperated.

But apparently I needed my ID to re-board and I just got nervous about the flight leaving without me so I came back to my seat. And they miraculously found the iPad and brought it to me! So totally amazing, especially considering how attached Eli is to that thing, ha ha.

But, oh no, it doesn't end there. It started snowing when we landed, which meant the plane needed to be de-iced before we could take off. We got in line on the de-icing pad...and found out that the de-icing truck ran out of fluid, ha ha. Eventually, we got off the ground, and I think we only ended up being about an hour later than our original arrival time. I know it may seem crazy flying through Denver in January, but I figured they could handle crazy weather, and I was correct! And it was better than my other option- Chicago!

Unfortunately, when we deplaned, I found out that our umbrella stroller was still in Denver. Eli was thankfully very happy to hold my hand and run through the airport after being on a plane all day. It only really got interesting when I had to get our luggage. It was a little bit like herding a cat, ha ha. But we made it, and my wonderful friend Megan was very flexible in picking us up.

Thankfully, I was able to keep a good sense of humor through the whole scenario. Honestly, it could have been so much worse than it was (stuck in Denver, lost iPad, etc), and I apparently have an expert traveler on my hands! He even took a nap! And God was definitely looking out for us in our travels.

And the adventure made being home again all the more sweet. And oh my goodness, the dogs were excited to see us! Hopefully I'll be updating the old blog more regularly. I have a few posts in mind. I'll leave you with a few pictures of my awesome travel buddy:





No comments: