Thursday, July 22, 2010

Vacation Part 1

We're back from vacation! We sure jam-packed those 12 days the Army gave us, and now we're pretty much exhausted. But it was definitely worth it! Looking through pictures to post, I realized we didn't take any for the second part of our trip. But I know my awesome mother-in-law did, so can I steal pictures from you M?

Anyway, the first part of our trip, we went to the fabulous San Juan Islands in Washington State. I think Fort Lewis, WA has officially been bumped up on our list of posts we want the Army to send us to next. I, of course, knew how awesome it was up there, but Nick needed to experience it firsthand.

We had an absolutely wonderful, relaxing time. Although, I don't know how you couldn't when you wake up to this every morning:

Literally right outside the door of our room

Ah, it was fabulous! We did a whole bunch of sitting on the porch, reading and playing UNO. We were also introduced to an awesomely hilarious game called Telephone Pictionary. It definitely=good times. Although it would have been awesome if all of my family was there, it was great hanging out with my parents, "little" bro & his girlfriend & best friend.

On the boat with Spencer & Emily

We saw all of the sights on the island, including:

The lighthouse- where we saw some Orcas through binoculars (we just missed them swimming close by the shore)
The lavender farm

Friday Harbor (see the ferries in the background?)

A whollllle bunch of seals (those little grey things on the rocks- click on the to see it bigger)

The daily eagle feeding- yes, that is a Bald Eagle- so cool!

Roche Harbor

We also went wine tasting, and ate lots of delicious food- including fresh crabs, clams, and BBQ'd oysters, yum! Unfortunately crab season started the day after we left, so we weren't able to catch the crabs ourselves, but it's all good. On one of the days, Nick joined Spencer, Emily & Spencer's friend Max in their craziness & jumped in the Puget Sound. Seeing as the water was about 50 degrees, I passed. Emily & Max even went wakeboarding:


Emily wakeboarding

Ya, it was a pretty amazing trip, and we're totally sold on moving to Washington, if the Army decides to send us there. We could both definitely see ourselves enjoying living up there and were very upset to have to leave. At the very least, we're going to try to visit again. I'll leave you with a few more pictures:

Cruising around in my grampa's awesome '64 Mustang


Near the lighthouse, looking for whales

One of many amazing sunsets

The "backyard"

Another beautiful sunset


Hanging out on the boat


A seaplane landing in front of the house


The San Juans from the air


Mt. Baker from the airplane






1 comment:

R.A.B. said...

Looks AMAZING!!!!