So the year-long deployment was obviously really tough on both of us. It was one of the toughest years I've ever been through. A year is a really long time to be away from each other, but I feel like both Nick and I would not be where we are today in our walks with God without that year. We got through a lot of challenges together, despite the distance, and I feel like our marriage is way stronger now than I ever thought it could be. Not that it was necessarily weak before, but I feel like this deployment forced us to grow both individually and as a couple. We were forced to depend on God instead of each other in the hard times, or the times with little or no communication. We were also able to spend a lot of time focusing on God and bible studies and the like.
When Nick left, I really didn't know what to expect as far as his Christian walk in Iraq. I was hoping he would be able to read his Bible on occasion, but I wasn't anticipating much growth for him. Thankfully, Nick's chaplain was absolutely amazing. He held a weekly Bible study based on sermons from Mars Hill Church in Seattle, and gave Nick so many resources, including a brand new awesome study bible (thanks to Mars Hill Church for sending that and tons of other resources to the troops). Towards the end of the deployment, we were able to watch the same Mars Hill Church sermons (yay for free podcasts!) and discuss them together. Like I said, it took our marriage and walks with God to a whole new level. I know I learned a ton. I totally think that is why Nick's reintegration was so smooth.
Don't get me wrong, we still drove each other a little crazy sometimes. We had to learn to live together all over again after living apart for a year. But, I think God taught us to be more selfless and to try to serve each other. I know that's true for me, at least. It definitely helped that God gave me the wisdom to see how exhausting my job was, and how much it was distracting me from taking care of Nick and everything else. I'm still amazed at how working moms do it! I could barely take care of myself, the house and the dogs while working full time. So, in our situation, it definitely made more sense for me to only work part time.
So, there was definitely a lot of change in the year, but I think we've built a pretty solid foundation in Christ. Our priorities were realigned and resulted in a lot of growth and maturity in our faiths. I don't know if I consider myself a "mature" Christian yet, but I know Nick and I are both putting in the effort to learn and grow with God and there is definitely some "fruit" blossoming. I'm excited to see where we learn and grow from here and where we will be "pruned" again.
I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:1-5
1 comment:
I really like this post. We are going to be gearing up for my hubby's first deployment soon. I had an idea to write a letter to each other about what our daily routines had become. It's those small day to day changes that make it so hard when they come home I think. Does that sound like a good idea?
Post a Comment