Friday, August 21, 2009

I obviously haven't updated my blog in awhile. A lot has been happening, and I've just kind of been in a fog lately. And I really didn't know what to say in this post.

Friday brought some really bad news from home. My 92 year old grampa got pneumonia on Wednesday, and was checked into the hospital on Thursday. Sadly, he passed away Friday morning. Even though he was 92, it was still a huge shock. He had been in really good shape (like amazing for his age) until he was put into a nursing home this past June.

I still feel like I'm in shock from the whole thing. Friday was a really hard day, especially having to tell Nick what happened. He had a really great relationship (as did everyone) with my grampa.

I honestly don't know what to say. He was an amazing man that lived a fantastic, long life and got to see three great-grandchildren. He was an Army doctor during WWII and enjoyed 62 years of marriage with my gramma. He was an accomplished doctor and was even Chief of Staff for a local hospital. He was the sweetest man and always had a fantastic story to tell. I can't even express how much I love him and will miss him. He brought such a joy and a light to my family.

I think the thing that is getting me through all of this is the confidence that he is in heaven right now and isn't suffering anymore. There is no doubt in my mind that he was a Christian and it brings me such peace to know where he is right now. And I am so glad that I was just home and got to spend time so much time with him.

Lunch with the grandparents in July


It's weird being all the way in Texas and having Nick so far away when all of this is happening (which I know is really hard for him). I don't think I'll be heading home anytime soon, as there isn't a memorial service or anything at my grampa's request. So, I'm just trying to keep busy and get through each day. So, please pray for my gramma and the rest of my family. Thankfully, my gramma is in a retirement community (not alone in a house) and the rest of my family is an hour or less away from her.


5 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I am so, so, sorry for the loss of such an amazing man. I am praying that he is enjoying his time in heaven, that he died without pain and with joy that he was meeting Christ, and for you, your gramma, and the rest of your family as you grieve.

I know just how hard it is to go through this alone...

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that. I know it hurts, and it's really not helpful when people say that he's in a better place, but I'm convinced that it's the truth. When my grandmother died in January all my friends tried to help by saying that, but I didn't want to hear it. However, now I realize that it's the truth.

I'm sure you'll get through your grief, just don't dwell on his death. Remember all the great times, and focus on the amazing life he lead.

Feel better, sweetie! Please let me know if you need anything!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear this. I'm glad that you were at least able to talk to your husband about it. I'm sure that made you feel a little better.

I hope you're family is doing ok.

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

So sorry to hear that. Losing a grandparent is so hard!

Erin said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a wonderful man.