Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Home Again

I had an absolutely wonderful visit back home in California. But boy, is it good to be home! I got in yesterday afternoon and I think Nick was counting down the seconds until he got to come pick me up at the airport. I don't think he could have lasted any longer!

I definitely didn't anticipate missing Nick as much as I did. I mean, we didn't see each other face to face for 9 months last year, and I was gone for all of 4 days this time. I think any separation helps you appreciate all the little things though. It's sad that it sometimes takes time away to realize what you've been taking for granted, but I'm happy for it nonetheless.

I know I can be easily distracted by all the little things sometimes. And I could feel a funk coming on with chores and all that fun stuff. So, a break from all that was a very nice and welcome refreshment. Now I'm all excited do be domestic again and even made scones today!

I think Nick got a new understanding of what it was like for me while he was deployed too. He repeatedly asked if this was what it was like while he was gone. It's nice to know he has a further appreciation of what I went through, but I definitely wouldn't wish that on anyone.

On the way home yesterday, we stopped at our favorite BBQ place to pick up dinner. Nick was in his uniform since he had left work early and some really nice guy came up and thanked him for his service and insisted on paying for our food! So nice! This is definitely not something I would expect all the time (this is the first time it's happened to me), but it's always nice to feel appreciated for our sacrifice.

I'll write about my trip home soon. I need to collect pictures from my family first though. They're all amazing photographers, so I tend to neglect picture taking when I'm around them. I don't think I even touched the camera I packed! It was a great trip though. I'm so glad I went and got to spend time with everyone!


No comments: