Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day!

So in absolutely absurd Southern fashion, today was declared a snow day, and pretty much everything shut down. At first, Nick was supposed to go in to work at noon, and then they completely canceled it, which was nice, of them, huh? How much snow did we actually get?


This much

Ya, I know, really not that bad. They may have had a bit of an extreme reaction. I think it actually snowed more on Christmas. But, in truth, it was actually really icy because we had tons of sleet and freezing rain too. And, since they don't really have any equipment to deal with snowy/icy roads down here, everyone was advised not to drive and thus everything was canceled/closed for the day!

Everybody thought it was kind of silly that most things (like schools) were closed yesterday, but I'm glad they did it that way because last year when we had crazy snow in Texas (actual legit snow, which put today to shame), they didn't cancel things until after it had been snowing for hours and it was a bit chaotic.

Anyway, we have thoroughly enjoyed some down time and the dogs enjoyed playing in the cold at the dog park. Scout ate lots of ice until he shivered and Rufus ran and slid all over the place chasing his frisbee. Nick also had some more time to get some homework done, which was kind of lame, but necessary.

I also started a new Bible study today with some lovely Army wives which I'm really excited about. We're going to be going through Beth Moore's Breaking Free and I'm anticipating some good growth and fellowship since there are only going to be about 8 of us. And it'll get done right before Baby Drake is due to arrive, which is always good.

Apparently now is a popular time to start a Bible study because I got another invitation to one, on top of PWOC starting this week and our normal study through our church starting back up. I decided to limit it to 3 though (the one I started today, PWOC & our church one), phew!

Otherwise, things are good. Really starting to pick up, obviously. And I figured out that my major problem with sleeping was due to nasal congestion, so I slept much better last night after using some nasal spray before bed. Yay!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha that's the South for you! Everything closes at the slightest threat of 'snow'. But that's coming from a southerner :)

The bible studies sound very exciting, I love Beth Moore books! I just got "So Long, Insecurities".

Jessa said...

It always makes me laugh when they have to close things down for such a non-existent amount of snow. Though I'm from the midwest so that isn't even close enough to consider the idea of closing things down.