If I haven't mentioned it already, we're going to be living in a house on post. It was the easiest option considering the fact that we have 2 dogs and we'll only be there for 7-8 months (the course Nick is going to is 6 months, but we're getting there early). We lived on post for about 6 months when we lived in Kentucky, and I'm excited to do it again.
I've absolutely loved living off-post here in Texas, but there are definitely some benefits to living on post:
- Nick's commute to class will be very short, which means more sleep for him and he can potentially come home for lunch!
- Not having to commute to the Commissary (grocery store) and PX (kind of like Target), which don't charge sales tax and sell things cheap
- Being close to the gym, which is free! I've already checked out the fitness class options, and they're pretty sweet (although you have to pay for some of those, but they're really not that expensive)
- The dog park on post! Right now, the closest one to us is 45 minutes away, so I'm realllly excited about this.
- If something breaks, you just have to call maintenance & they come and fix it
- There are MPs (Military Police) patrolling regularly
Ya, that's all I can think of. I've also been getting enjoying trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my time when we get there. I mentioned that I looked at the schedule of fitness classes. I'm also looking into taking some classes at a local community college. They have some fun stuff like sewing and photography (which I always regretted not taking in college). And I'm also thinking about taking some refresher courses in graphic design since I haven't touched half of the programs I used as an Animation major since graduating. Thankfully, most of these classes are pretty cheap, which is good since they totally changed up the MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts) and we don't qualify since Nick got promoted.
I've also been looking at the volunteer opportunities and there was one for PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel) working on their website. Um, ya, pretty much perfect for me, especially since I am planning on going to PWOC! I'm also praying about getting involved with a pregnancy center down there, although I think it would have to be in a similar capacity (data entry, receptionist) as now, since we won't be there for very long. Obviously a part time job would be nice, but I'm not really anticipating much, especially since we won't be there for very long. I think I can easily keep myself busy with all this though! Plus, I mentioned I might take those classes at ACS (Army Community Service). Ya, I think I might be good!
5 comments:
I'll go to fitness classes with you! I've checked out the schedule as well and I'm hoping to start checking them out soon. If/when I get a job it might be a touch harder to try them out, but I hope to do it sooner or later!
The gym on post is really nice. Do you guys have any idea what area of housing you'll be living in? We lived on post there for a while before we moved to Hood. We're living on post right now and D can (and does) definitely come home for lunch almost every day!
I also meant to add....the dog park there is not super awesome, but its nice to have an area for the dogs to run around in. When we lived on post we lived in the neighborhood right across the street from it, so we could walk there, that was definitely a plus! I never went to the dog park down in TX, but if its a nice one you might not be thrilled with the one in GA.
Of course, that is assuming that its the same as when we were there 3 years ago!
That sounds great, Court!
We've decided to live on post as well since the cost of freaking pet deposits/fees/monthly rent is just asinine! I am definitely going to be talking to you a lot about the process since we have never lived on post. I am looking forward to the experience of it and that it will only be for a short period of time so I won't feel like I am stuck there for a long time if I don't like it. Can't wait to see you!!
Post a Comment