Plus, I could use a distraction. Especially since my friend (whose husband is on the same flight, funnily enough, enough though he came from Afghanistan instead of Iraq) kind of stressed me out by telling me that her husband isn't scheduled for a flight from Dallas until 5pm...and they're supposed to get in at 8am. Unfortunately, all Nick told me was that he'll be getting in "in the morning", and I haven't heard from him since. So I really have no idea if I should just head up to Dallas or not. I would rather not, since it's a 2.5 hour drive each way, but I also don't really want to wait half a day for him to get down here. Needless to say, I'm a little anxious!
Anyway, back to the review. It feels really good to say we're done with 9 months! That is a long freaking time and there really is not much left in this deployment, thank goodness (and when R&R is over, it'll be October!). And I know R&R will give us the stamina to get through the last few months. Here are a few highlights from the last month:
-Drove back to Texas with my dad. Pretty uneventful drive, except for the 5 prisons we saw along the way.
- Got back into the groove at home and enjoyed my fixed A/C. Thank goodness for that because we've had a heat index of 100+ a ridiculous amount of days since then. Also hung out with my friends a whole bunch!
- I finally sold Nick's ridiculously annoying truck, woohoo!!! SUCH a relief. I honestly haven't even thought about it since I sold it too. I love Craigslist.
- A gross little mouse moved into my backyard while the dogs & I were gone for the summer. I saw it twice, but the last time was a few weeks ago. Rufus has been on the hunt pretty much nonstop, so I think it's gone. Ew.
- I went on a fabulous shopping spree thanks to Texas' tax-free weekend! Gotta love new clothes! I'm wearing a pair of my new pants today, in fact!
- Unfortunately, my family has had some rough times in the last month, including the unfortunate loss of my amazing grandfather. There have also been a ridiculous amount of hospital visits. I ask that you'd continue to pray for my gramma, and uncle who are having some health issues.
- Started going to the battalion bible study with the chaplain's wife. It's been pretty cool. We're going through the same sermon series as the guys are with the chaplain in Iraq on the same day. There are only 4 of us who come regularly, but its a nice, personal group.
- Had another battalion coffee, which was pretty fun. It was a salad theme and was also thrown by the chaplain's wife. Good times!
- Said goodbye to my friend Michelle, who is moving back to Kentucky. :( I know we'll see each other again, but I will definitely miss her!
- I started taking down all the wallpaper in my house. In all, it probably took me about 2 weeks, and that was with working on it 2-4 hours a day. It is finally done, thank goodness! Definitely a good project to keep me busy before R&R, but man, it took forever!
-Tried to keep myself busy with little errands and projects in anticipation of R&R. I don't know how well it worked, because I was pretty antsy. But at least the time didn't wear on too long!
- Thought Nick was going to be delayed a day for R&R, but apparently he's still getting here when he was supposed to. Not sure how that happened, but thank goodness!!!
- Have cleaned pretty much every square inch of my house in anticipation of Nick coming! I also made shortbread cookies and chicken tortilla soup and have the fridge fully stocked! Haven't had a whole lot else to do though since it's been raining for 2 days straight. I thought I lived in Texas, not Seattle.
-Oh, and I got a nice surprise this afternoon when my doorbell rang and it was FLOWERS from Nick! I'll have to take a picture of them (sorry, I'm too tired from cleaning at the moment). So sweet and a total surprise!
Countdowns
0% left until R&R, ha ha! Love it! BECAUSE I GET TO SEE HIM TOMORROW!!! AFTER 9 MONTHS!!!
75% done with the deployment. 25% left -no problem!
Deployment Goals
- No problem with the working out. I've been stepping up my work on my abs too and it is paying off. And the dogs are getting 30 minute walks each, except for the last 2 days when it has literally not stopped raining!!!
- The dog training is alright. Scout is still barking incessantly every now and then. Mostly when I'm on the phone or computer. He's getting a little better. And both dogs are off the bed...except at around 6am every morning when Scout decides he wants me to wake up and I let him in the bed so I can sleep.
- The 2 new meals I cooked this month were: Southwestern Bean Salad (for my last coffee), and my father-in-law's Baked Ziti recipe (yum!).
- Church is still good. It's nice to be back and working in the nursery every now and then. Also, I signed up to help out with childcare for bible studies, which surprisingly is a paid position! So I'll be doing that at least once a week starting in October. Sweet!
- The wallpaper project definitely falls under working on the house. I also touched up some paint here and there, and obviously cleaned it like it's never been cleaned before!
- Other than my shopping spree, I think we're doing a good job saving money.
- Reread 7 Things He'll Never Tell You...But You Need to Know which Nick gave me for Valentines Day. Other than that, nothing new read.
Prayer Requests
- That we'd have a great R&R (although I know we will) without a lot of stress, and that we'd just be able to enjoy being together
- That Nick is able to fly all the way here without an issue and we don't have to worry about driving a long way.
- That the rest of the deployment goes quickly
- That Nick transitions to a new job smoothly (he's a platoon leader right now, but they're going to switch him to a staff position for the rest of the deployment)
- That we would continue to make God the utmost priority individually and in our relationship
Upcoming Events
- R&R (obviously!)...ya, that's about it
2 comments:
So excited for you!!!
That's fabulous!
Post a Comment