Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Calling

Our pastor at church talked about your "calling" on Sunday. It was a really good message & I've been thinking a lot about it lately.

This summer, I decided to quit my job as a special ed aide. I knew Nick would be getting a lot of time off when he came home, plus his 2 weeks of leave during the deployment. But also, I knew that I was really stressed out last year, both when he was home and when he wasn't.

Obviously, when Nick was deployed, I was the one who took care of the dogs and the house and everything else. I didn't have a choice, and I was so incredibly stressed out. I honestly don't know how I took care of anything around the house. I was completely exhausted every day when I would get home from work.

I can't say it was too much better before Nick left either. Not that he didn't do anything, but the burden of taking care of the house still fell primarily on me, despite the fact that I was working full time as well. Little things would drive me crazy, like dishes in the sink, or having to tidy up. And I think I resented Nick a little bit for putting the burden on me so much.

So, needless to say, I am still confident that quitting my job and becoming a "homemaker" was totally the right decision. My house is actually clean (it must've been a pit before), I don't mind taking care of all of the little tasks around the house, and picking up after my husband doesn't drive me (that) crazy. I feel like I have the ability to be more selfless towards him, even if it's little things like making his lunch, or doing the dishes after dinner. I can take pride in my "job" of keeping the house in order and Nick doesn't have to worry about a thing.

Obviously being a homemaker isn't the most riveting job, and can get a little bit monotonous. But I take pleasure in making good meals, a clean house, and a happy husband. That is definitely enough purpose for me. And we're both happier, less stressed out people as a result. Oh, and the dogs like me being home more too and as a result, drive me crazy a little less often.

Philippians 2:13- "for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." NIV

1 comment:

KLutz said...

This is one thing that I worry about with going back to work. After being a "domestic goddess" since June, I've gotten used to doing all the work around the house. I pay all the bills, clean everything, do all the laundry and take care of literally everything except mowing the lawn and cooking a few nights a week. Since Brian and I have gotten into this habit, I'm worried that when I go back to work, things aren't going to change and I am still going to be doing everything as well as working full time. We've talked about "sharing the load" but haven't listed any specifics yet.

It would be nice if things could stay like they are...but I'm going crazy not working! I'm glad that you've found the best, most peaceful situation for both of you. I'm hoping that Brian and I will be able to find that too!