Monday, January 4, 2010

Mmm, Chicken

So we've been up at Nick's parents house for a week or so now & they have 11 acres of land. They recently fenced off a few acres and we've been running the dogs in there- which they absolutely LOVE! We call it the pasture, and it was originally built so that they could bring their cows here to give birth.

Anyway, today I took the dogs into the pasture while Nick was helping his dad with the horse. I looked down at my phone for all of 2 minutes and Rufus crawled under the fence into one of the loading pens (2 sides fence, 2 sides gates). I was worried Rufus would run over to Nick near the horse and the chickens, so I called to Nick for help. In the meantime, Scout squeaked under the fence. Well, Nick came over & helped me open the gates & we got Scout back into the main pasture. But, when Nick turned around to get Rufus, all he saw was his butt sliding under the outside fence. He jumped over the fence and ran after him, jumping over hay bales and the like. But it was too late. He took off right for the chickens and managed to get one of the favorite chickens in his mouth. Thankfully, they managed to extract her from his mouth without any damage.

But she made quite the racket, which then made Scout take off inside the pasture. And then he went back into the darn loading pen, whose gate I had just shut. I yelled to Nick again, but he didn't hear me, and Scout squeaked under the fence too. I realized it would just be faster for me (rather than jumping over fences) to just grab the leashes and run out the normal gate. Thankfully, the chickens were already scared off & Nick was able to catch Scout without incident.

Man, do they like to keep things interesting!


No comments: