Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Big Scare!

So last night I was getting ready for bed and checked Facebook before I was about to turn off my computer. I was being all stalkery & checking out people's statuses and a fellow Army wife had something about a suicide bomber and Mosul...where Nick is. Um, WHAT?! So, of course, I had to search the news and find out the details. It turns about 4 soldiers and an interpreter were killed. And I hadn't heard from Nick since Sunday afternoon.

So, of course, my mind went to the worst. THANKFULLY, I got a call and voicemail from Nick this afternoon while I was at work (you have no idea how good it felt to feel my phone ringing in my pocket) to tell me he & his guys were alright. But, it was on my mind all today in the quiet moments (the kids did a pretty good job of keeping me distracted) and I did not sleep well at all last night. For those of you who don't know, the Army blocks all communication out of Iraq until they can notify the family (I think there's a 24 hour window), so I didn't hear anything at all from Nick until I got his message. Talk about nervewracking!!! I'll be saying some prayers for the families of the soldiers, but I can't help but praise God that it wasn't Nick.

Yes, it has always been a possibility in the back of my mind that something like this could happen. Obviously, I realize that my husband is in a war zone, but, it was never really real until last night. Frankly, that wasn't something I wanted to think about or worry about. And things actually seemed like they have been relatively safe in Iraq lately and that they were winding down. I am sooo incredibly relieved that Nick and his guys are ok though. I don't think the rest of this deployment will quite be the same though.

5 comments:

Dan said...

SO scary sweetie! Thank God he and his guys were safe - more prayers than ever!

Jeff Olson said...

Hang in there Court. We're keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Rest in Him Courtney, and know you and the boys are bathed in prayer!

Herding Chaos said...

Ahh Scary!!! I got a little worried the other night when J suddenly had to leave without warning. Heard back from him this morning.

Stay positive! I don't watch the news for this very reason!

Scott Marino said...

May God watch over Nick and all of our troops, that defend our freedom, and for those who can't.