Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!! I was originally intending to pretty much pretend that it wasn't actually Thanksgiving and just hang out at home with the boys. I had a couple of invites to people's celebrations, but they would have been slightly awkward, and I just wasn't really feeling it. There was one viable option, but I didn't find out about it until later. But, God is good, and I met a new friend named Jennifer this week. Her husband is supposed to be coming home from Iraq soon too, and she didn't have any big plans for Thanksgiving either. So, we whipped up an awesome last-minute Thanksgiving!

On the menu: pre-cooked turkey & gravy, instant garlic mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce in a can, crescent rolls, and some tasty appetizers Jennifer cooked up. I also bought an apple pie and made some ice cream, and Jennifer made some cookies, but we were too full from dinner, so I'll get to enjoy those later. It was fun meeting someone new (who is my age without kids!) and we had a lot of fun talking and getting to know each other. I think it turned into a pretty good Thanksgiving! Obviously I would have loved to be with family, or Nick, but it was nice to hang out with someone in the same situation, especially instead of pretending it wasn't actually Thanksgiving.

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for new friends, my lovely (albeit crazy) dogs, and the fact that Nick will soon be on his way home!

He will hopefully be headed to Kuwait by the weekend. They're starting the process tomorrow and I'm just happy there's forward progress. He was originally supposed to get to Kuwait today, but for some reason, it didn't happen. I haven't really been getting my hopes up too much until there is actually progress, but it's still kind of a bummer, obviously. It still doesn't quite seem real that he's actually coming home (the delays definitely aren't helping), and I'm not sure it will until I see the buses pull up for the homecoming ceremony. And then I'll probably lose it like I did when I saw him coming off the plane for R&R. Can't wait!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments: