Saturday, January 23, 2010

Fraud Alert

So we had a fun afternoon/evening yesterday. We had gotten a call from our bank asking us to check on some charges. After 3 phone calls trying to get more information about one charge in particular, we realized we definitely didn't make the charge. Thankfully, the charge was really small (less than $10), but was to some random advertising agency. Weird.

So then, just to make sure nothing else sketchy was going on, I checked Nick's credit report. Surprisingly, he had 2 "potentially negative" alerts. After about a million phone calls, we figured out that there was some debt with AT&T, which was very confusing, since I know we've paid every bill ever.

Well, long story short, apparently when we started a joint AT&T account in July of 2007, in order to get our current area code, the lovely AT&T representative put our address as a random address (actually, a McDonalds) in our current town. Not a problem, until they closed Nick's old account and didn't change said address, or have us pay off the balance of that account. So, AT&T sent bills and past due notices to McDonalds for months, and then when we didn't pay, sent it to a collection agency. Somehow, it took the collection agency almost 3 years to track us down, and AT&T didn't figure it out either.

We're really glad that's all that it was, but it sucks that we're paying for someone's stupid mistake, and our credit score now gets to suffer. Good times.


1 comment:

KLutz said...

I hate that! I had something similar happen with Chase bank while we were in Korea. Long story short, they assigned us a "temporary" address which they used for 2 years. The account was a mandatory checking account which I never used, since it had below $250 in it they started charging me a monthly fee. Once the money ran out of the account, they kept on charging me the fee. They bypassed the collection agency and went right for the lawyer. I had to pay them like $300!

Needless to say, I paid them promptly and then took all my money (and all my parent's money) out of Chase bank.

And my credit score suffered. I hate it when other people's mistakes cost you and nothing happens to them!