Sunday, August 1, 2010

Texas Weekend

Seeing as though it's now August and we're moving in (eek!) about 6 weeks, Nick and I have been trying to get going on our Texas list. We're realizing that we're going to actually have to plan to do the things on our list since we only have so many weekends left!

We did some Texas-y things this weekend though, although they weren't necessarily on the list. On Saturday, we went to a local gun range with some friends and had some fun:


Armed & dangerous


Nick looking like a pro (which I guess he is!)

I've shot Nick's parents' shotgun a few times, but this was the first time I've shot a handgun. It was different, but . Definitely a randomly fun thing to do on a Saturday afternoon though. And really, could you get more Texas-y?

Then today after church, we went to the main street of a really cute little nearby "village" (it's so tiny it's not even a town) for lunch. If it wasn't over 100 degrees (seriously way too hot!), we would have probably stayed longer, but we had a good time looking at all the little shops and eating lunch at a cute diner. I think we're going to try to go back another time and hit up the winery, tea shop and fudge store. This town is like the epitome of Texas though. So cute!

I also went down to Austin on Friday and met up with my other half, Alice! We ended up walking around, checking out some cool shops and eating lunch together (I see a theme here). It was so great catching up with her (seriously, we could talk all day long) and I can only pray the Army puts our husbands at the same post again sometime soon!

I listened to a sermon on friendship (again from Mars Hill from their Proverbs sermon series) on my drive down to Austin and everything it talked about was just so totally Alice. One of the major things from the sermon was that good friends give wise counsel. Lately I've kind of been feeling like I'm in limbo before the move and ready to get going on the next chapter. But, I didn't really know what I was going to do after we moved, especially since we'll only be in Georgia for around 6 months or so. But, after talking to Alice and hearing what she's doing now, I think I have a plan!

Alice is training to be an FRG (Family Readiness Group) leader and has taken a whole bunch of classes at Army Community Service. She's also trying to find a volunteer position at ACS that could potentially turn into a job eventually. So, I think I'm going to look into doing the same kind of thing. I'm not really looking to be an FRG leader, but I've been trying to find a way to learn more about the Army in general (because not too long from now, Nick will be commanding a company) and find a more "portable" job/career (since ACS is at every Army post). So, this sounds totally perfect! Plus, I'll have more than enough time to take some classes and it'll be convenient since we'll be living on post. Love it!

Gotta love that a few hours with Alice turns into a plan for my life. Love her! We're planning on meeting up again in a few weeks and I can't wait!

3 comments:

lola said...

AFTB classes are super helpful, and I've taken the gamut of classes -- FRG, informal funds, CARE team, etc -- in case, like you've said, my husband's career requires me to step up and do that sort of thing.

Where are you guys moving to?

Heather said...

I don't know if every unit has these but the Army units here have what is called a FRSA (Family Readiness something or other) which is a PAID position. My husband got to be the fill-in for a couple of months after our old FRSA left and they were trying to hire a new one. I would have thought about applying if I wasn't pregnant/had a baby. But since you mentioned looking into thing with ACS and FRG type stuff I thought I would mention it. It might just be an overseas thing but if not I think it would be a great job. One benefit - you know everything going on with the unit!

This American Wife said...

I was going to mention the FRSA position as well.

Anyways, the fudge shop is A-Maze-Ing! You really must go. Also, we went to that gun range when we were there and it really is Texas-y, isn't it?