Friday, February 13, 2009

Deployment Month 2 In Review

So we are officially 2 months done with this deployment, woohoo! I didn't really update on month one, but oh well. That was kind of a crazy month with the holidays and traveling. I feel like this month has gone much faster than the last one. I'm actually having to go back & look at old posts on my blog to remember what happened, ha ha. So anyway, here are some of the highlights from month two:

-Cook 2 new meals per month: I made Garlic Parmesan Chicken (mmmmmmm!) and Spinach Artichoke Dip (thanks D.A.R. for the recipe!). I also baked a little and made Butter Cookies (one of my favs!), Snickerdoodles, Brownies and a new recipe for Chai cookies (yum!).

- Did several "big girl" things, like building a bench & a table:
(Does this count for my "Be more crafty" goal? I think the use of power tools should apply), changing a light bulb, and cleaning up an overflowed toilet. I'm pretty proud of myself. Oh, and I BBQ'd steak for dinner TWICE successfully, oh yes.

- Get in shape: Have managed to walk the dogs every day! Believe me, this one is pretty easy. Almost as soon as I walk in the door from work, they start bugging me to go on a walk. Also started using the Wii Fit and have seen some good results...as long as I don't overdo it. I don't use it quite as much as I'd like to, but I'm getting there.

- I feel like I've kind of settled into a routine between work, walking the dogs, using my Wii Fit and sleep, ha ha. I know, I'm pretty boring. But hey, at least I'm keeping busy!

- Sent off like 5 care packages to Nick, woohoo! Two of them were Valentines-themed, and he got to open them today because he was antsy, ha ha. Mine are still sitting nicely packaged in the corner taunting me, ha ha.

- Go to church every week and get more involved: I've been going to church every week and I didn't even miss it after staying up until 12:30am at an Army wife event, ha ha. I also started volunteering with the 3 year old Sunday School class once a week (LOVE it!) and am actively involved in the Heroes At Home group (group for spouses of deployed soldiers). Still need to start going to a small group...

- Got involved in a monthly coffee group with the wives from Nick's unit. Sooo fun & am anxiously awaiting the next one, which I get to help plan!!!

- Got Rufus a new crate and switched it out for his pen. Destruction has stopped and it has also helped me stop Scout from stealing Rufus' food. YAY! My husband had the idea for the new crate (Rufus' old one was too small) and it has worked wonders!!! He's so smart!

- Get on a budget: Have stayed somewhat on my new budget, or at least I'm spending a lot less. The following months should be getting better and better. Am waiting until after my birthday and Valentines Day to get back into using Mint.com

- Work on the house: Am in the process of getting the house more organized or at least less cluttered. Woo.

- Read a new book every month: I actually read my brother-in-law's book, Follow the Roar. I'm not really a big golf fan, but he is a really funny guy (he's a TV comedy writer) and I really enjoyed reading about his adventures following Tiger Woods around.

- Be consistent with a bible study: Am still doing that Stormie Omartian book: The Power of Praying Through the Bible. If I've missed any days in the last couple months, its only been like one. Looove it!

- Got my hair cut, yay! I feel like I've gotten one of two reactions at school:
"I love your new haircut!"
or
"Why did you cut your hair?"
Um, because it was too long! A couple of kids didn't even recognize me, ha ha! I totally love it though.
Before

After

Countdowns:
17% done with the deployment
20% of the way to R&R


Some of the things I'm anticipating in the next month:

-My 23rd birthday, woohoo! My parents are flying out and taking me to San Antonio, woo! Can't wait!!!

- Opening all of the presents currently inhabiting a corner of my house.

- February 15th- Rufus' 1st birthday and the anniversary of when we got Scout (don't know his actual birthday)


4 comments:

Herding Chaos said...

Love the new haircut! You look a lot like my good friend from College with the new cut.

YAY for two months, I'm coming up on month 1, feels like longer some times when I look at it, but then it also feels like it has flown by.

e said...

congrats on all of your accomplishments!

I like your new hairdo!! very cute :)

corkyshell said...

LOVE the new hair! And sounds like a pretty productive month :)

Kpod said...

I have to agree with everyone else, I think the new haircut looks great!