Saturday, May 16, 2009

Month 5 in Review

We are 5 months done, woohoo (as of the 13th...this update is obviously a little late)! The halfway point is in sight!!! This was definitely a rollercoaster month between insomnia and the stress of Nick's truck, the lawn and the patio. Thankfully, most of the crises were averted although the insomnia ended up causing a few breakdowns. I'm sooooo glad this month is finally over!!! As dramatic as it was, it actually went by fairly fast, and I would say I'm more used to Nick being gone than not, although I still miss him like crazy.

- Finally had Nick's truck towed to the shop. Drama ensued and we found out we're being a bit overcharged...awesome. After a couple of breakdowns and immense help from the in-laws, the truck is currently being fixed! Crossing my fingers that I can get it sold soon!!!

- Got a notice from the city that my lawn/weeds were too long and were a fire hazard. Was then informed I had a week to cut it or they'd do it and charge me. Thankfully, I have an awesome neighbor who owns a lawn service who took care of it for me.

- Lots of rain caused a part of my patio roof to break...awesome. We now have a beautiful skylight, ha ha!

- Celebrated the 6 year anniversary of when Nick and I started dating. Wow, that seems like so long!!! Whenever I look at pictures from back them, I can't believe how young we were. Memories....

- Had another "coffee". This was a pretty fun one with lots of yummy sushi!!!

- Survived another week of TAKS testing (standardized testing). This one actually wasn't so bad, even though we were testing for about 4 days!!! I ended up only having to cover a 1st grade class for a half day, as well as hanging out in Pre-K and 5th grade. Not too shabby.

- Got a really sweet and funny card from Nick for Mother's Day

- Started spending a bunch of time with my "battle buddies" from church, Alice & Rachel. We've spent a lot of time hanging out and are starting a bible study! I'm really excited! Frankly, I wish I didn't have work so early in the morning and so often so we could hang out more!

- The dogs and I (but mostly the dogs, ha ha) were really excited to have some visitors this week

- Found out my sister was having extremely early contractions (she's due in July) with my nephew Luke. Things are looking pretty well (contractions slowing down), but I am anxious to get to California to help out.

Countdowns: 42% done with the deployment
56% of the way to R&R (or 44% more to go!!!- yay, we're over halfway there!)
14 more days of school!!!

Deployment Goals

Get in shape- I've been really consistent with Wii Fit and dog walking and have actually lost 10 pounds since I started using it in January!!! I'm really proud of myself.

Cook 2 new meals per month- This month, I made a really, really delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup and some Shrimp Pasta that was only ok (it didn't turn out quite right).

Church- Still good on that front. I helped out in the nursery a bunch again this month. I'm also getting more accepting of the fact that my Heroes group is ending soon, but thats probably mostly because I have my two awesome friends.

Read a new book every month- I am a total nerd, and since the new Harry Potter book is coming out this summer, I decided to re-read the books. I finished the 2nd one and am almost done with the 3rd.

Work on the House- I did a major sweep of the guest room in anticipation of visitors. It looks really good now.

Budget- I've continued to put a bunch of money in a savings account. Although, we're going to get hit fairly hard with the repairs from the truck, ew.

Dog Training- I'm doing alright with this. I'm trying to make sure the dogs are getting a lot of exercise. Scout and I are still working on the barking, but otherwise its not bad. Rufus made some progress with jumping on people too this month.

Prayer Requests

- Less/no drama in the coming months

- Time to pass quickly until Nick can come home for R&R in September

- The possibility of Nick's unit coming home in November rather than December

- Nick's safety and the safety of his platoon

- His last platoon sergeant's son who has been diagnosed with terminal lupus

- Patience and energy to get through the last few weeks of school


Upcoming Events

-14 more days of school left, woohoo!

- My father-in-law coming to visit and helping me fix stuff!!!

- Walking in Relay for Life with a team from my school (it was postponed)

- Our 2 year wedding anniversary on June 2nd!!!

- Yet another coffee (same night as Relay for Life but I'm trying to make it work)- BBQ this time!

- Being halfway through this deployment!!!


No comments: