Saturday, November 14, 2009

Month 11 in Review

We have officially gotten through 11 months of deployment (over 335 days), woohoo! This will probably be my last month in review because Nick is supposed to be home well before the year mark (YAY! Not too much longer!). Here are some highlights from this month:

- Had a pretty good Halloween where I watched a whole bunch of Halloweeny movies and handed out candy. I went to a Halloween-themed coffee for the month too, which was pretty fun.

- We are still going through the loan/payment process, but Nick got a gorgeous new truck! We are very excited to pick it up once we get to California in December!

- I got the walls in our master bathroom textured, although unfortunately, my toilet was broken in the process. It's fixed, but it was a big, expensive pain in the butt. Also, had some other stressful moments, including my water almost getting shut off because I wasn't getting my mail. Thankfully, everything got resolved. But man, not fun.

- Have had some fun days at work, and have gotten very good at holding 2 kids at one time, ha ha. Only one more week until they start up a new bible study in the new year.

- Helped put together welcome home bags (with toiletries and such) for the single soldiers in Nick's unit.

- Was invited to a Pampered Chef party and dinner party in one day! I thoroughly spoiled myself at the Pampered Chef party getting lots of fun cooking toys. And it was lots of fun hanging out with the ladies from Nick's unit at the dinner party!

- My community went through the horrific shooting on 11/5. I'm still in shock that something could happen like that on post, but it is obvious that God is bringing healing and peace in the aftermath.

-Am keeping busy otherwise & just waiting & preparing for Nick to get home!


- I just finished painting the walls in our master bathroom. I tried to put up a new light over the mirror, but unfortunately, I somehow did not get the instructions, or the required parts to put it up. Hmm. Anyway, here are the promised pictures:







I'm really excited about the result!

Countdowns
94% done with the deployment!!! I can't quite bring myself to put in the date that Nick is "supposed" to be home, so I did a week after that. Still, not too shabby! And the first flights from his unit started coming in this week!!!


Deployment Goals

- This month, I cooked my gramma's fabulous Hamburger Soup recipe & I also tried Huevos Rancheros (because I was craving it and needed something new to cook). Tasty!

- Totally kicked butt working out. I'm hoping to start going back to the Yoga classes too. I stopped going because the teacher moved and they were in the process of getting a new one.

- The dogs are still driving me a bit crazy, but it's mostly Scout barking at me for attention (a habit I'm trying desperately to break). I've upped the discipline some, mostly time-outs so I can have some peace and quiet. They're pretty good on walks, except apparently when I take them both at the same time (which I try not to do unless I'm in a time crunch) and we see cats. Good times.

- I read both Something Borrowed, and Something Blue this month. I own both of them, but they're always a good read.

- I obviously worked on the house a bunch with the Master Bathroom. I also did a little bit of organizing of CDs and am just generally trying to tidy more with Nick coming home!!!


Prayer Requests

- That time would continue on the pace it's going (it seems like it's flying by!) for both Nick and I, and that I would get everything done that I wanted to before he gets home.

- That Nick's "transition" back to home is a smooth one without a lot of stress. And that we would have lots of patience with each other and just enjoy being together again.

- That we would keep up our new habits and not fall back into old, bad habits.

- Safe flights for all of Nick's unit


Upcoming Events

- The end of the deployment!!!

- Thanksgiving with some girls from my unit



3 comments:

Julie Danielle said...

What an exciting time for you guys :) Your husband must have left about a month after mine did as he just got home. What a awesome holiday season for you :)

Mary P. said...

Wow Court, amazing painting you did! Love the photos you took! Nick will be so astounded at what you have accomplished. What a trooper you are-335 days that is incredible! I was so thrilled to see your headline "11 months in review"! It put a big smile on my face! We are sooo proud of you and your endurance during this difficult time! It will be so fantastic to spend time with you & to see Nick during the holidays! We love you! Mom (& Dad)

lola said...

You are so close! The bathroom looks gorgeous and the bit about the donut and putting a week after is exactly what I've done! There are just too many crazy things that could happen to mess with the schedule. Still, you're SO CLOSE! :D