Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Baptism

On Sunday, our church and our sister church (which actually founded ours) had a group baptism on some gorgeous nearby property. It was at the end of this long gravel road and had a creek running through it. The perfect place to spend a hot summer evening! About 50 or so people got baptized:

The group getting baptized, and/or baptizing

One really cool thing they did was that they let a lot of fathers baptize their own children, even those who had just been baptized themselves. I know that is something Nick would love to do for our future children. Our church isn't very big, so most of those getting baptized were from our huge sister church. But, we had like 10 or so people, one of whom was Nick! He hadn't ever been baptized, so he decided that this would be a good opportunity to do so. It's been the first chance he's had since he got back from Iraq, and that's where he had a lot of growth in his Christian walk. Every person got to share a little bit of their testimony:


And then they did the baptisms:

Our pastor did the honors

It was really amazing to hear so many testimonies and all of the amazing things God had done in so many people's lives. And I'm really proud of Nick for standing up in front of all of these people and publicly declaring his faith in Christ. It's just one of the many indications of how much he's grown and changed in his walk with God, and I'm so glad he was able to do it.


We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
Romans 6:4


I took a video for all those who missed it (see below), which unfortunately, was a lot of people. I know Nick was bummed that his awesome chaplain that led his bible study in Iraq moved this past week and wasn't able to see it. Excuse the choppiness of the video. I took pictures and video on the same camera, so the video kind of stopped temporarily when I took a picture.




1 comment:

Erin said...

Congratulations to Nick! Looks like a beautiful ceremony.