Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Camping Adventures

How is it that I am somehow busier on 4-day weekends than in a normal week? I swear, time seems to speed up somehow. Anyway, here are the pictures from our camping trip that I've been meaning to put up.

Our campsite

Nick had a 4-day weekend because of Memorial Day, so we went to a nearby state park on Thursday night and stayed until Saturday afternoon. I'm really glad we went on Thursday because the campground was practically empty on Thursday night, then got really crowded on Friday night. The Colorado River went right through the park and it was totally gorgeous. This is the view we had from our campsite up on a hill:



It was a totally fantastic little trip! We did a lot of relaxing and reading and played some Uno, Pass the Pigs and Trivial Pursuit. Somehow Nick had never played Uno before somehow (I grew up with that game) but now he is an expert! Nick also practiced his fly fishing skills and we went hiking and wading in the river with the boys- which Scout enjoyed especially:

Wading in the river

As with anything, there was the potential for the dogs to act up and be obnoxious the whole trip, but, I am happy to say they were absolutely wonderful! They would bark at random things here and there, but would stop when we told them to and didn't get too frustrated with being tied up on their leashes. We ended up having them sleep in the car at night, which was a really good idea as there were lots of animal visitors around camp. They were blissfully ignorant to them (and silent!) in the car.

Happy dog

Speaking of animal visitors, on the first night, Nick and I made sure to put all of our food items away before we went to bed. But, we left some paper plates and cups and things on the table. We were just getting ready to go to sleep when we heard some rustling at our picnic table. We shined the flashlight in that direction & saw a raccoon looking through our stuff! Nick ran out and saw him throw down our paper plates and run away with something. After much searching for them the next day, we realized the little bandit had stolen our wet wipes! I'm sure he was pretty bummed when he realized they weren't edible and tasted like soap.

We also saw lots of armadillos (sorry we didn't get a picture Spence!), deer and lizards. I also saw a snake at one point, but it was just a little garter snake and stayed away, thank goodness!

On our last day, we decided to take a little hike to a waterfall in the park. We never expected to see this:








So gorgeous! I don't even know how something like that is possible in Texas! I felt like we were back in Kauai on our honeymoon. I mean, the rest of the trail was filled with cacti. Totally a pleasant surprise though, and the dogs were troopers, especially with rock faces like this heading down to the waterfall:

We conquered the mountain

They loved hiking though. We kept calling Scout our "Adventure Dog". He was so excited to go and explore and if he was tired, he would just relax for a bit.


The Rufus, who unfortunately, kept getting covered in burrs


The Rufus loves the Nick

Us!

I'm so glad we went and got to relax and use all of our awesome camping stuff!!! I don't know that we'll be going camping again anytime soon, just because it's already getting reallllly hot. But that's Texas for ya!


1 comment:

Battles on the Homefront said...

We went camping on an island off the coast in Florida and had a raccoon try to unzip our tent. The next day we went through our stuff on the table and we caught him but he ran off with something too. We had kept all of our food in the car or so we thought. When I looked in the bushes at him to see what it was, I saw that he had stolen our un-popped pan of jiffy pop. He tore it open and licked the butter off the kernels. It was hilarious.